International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist Job At International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
The vacant position of Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist is currently available at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA). Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified individuals who possess all the below-listed criteria.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization and a member of the CGIAR Consortium.
- IITA seeks to recruit an Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist.
- The overall objective of the position is to lead strategic and applied research on market economics on IITA mandate crops and related activities.
- The successful candidate will work in collaboration with other social scientists and biophysical scientists as needed, such as agronomists, crop breeders, soil scientists, and IPM scientists.
- He/She will be a member of the IITA Social Science and Agribusiness Core Competency.
He/She will report to the Senior Agricultural Economist and Director of Western Africa Hub.
- Consultancy Services: States Policy Analysis Job At International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- Head, Genetic Resources Centre Job At International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- Data Manager Job At International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist Duties
- Conduct market economic studies of commodities along the value chain.
- Monitor economic changes in agriculture concerning the markets and vice versa.
- Devise methods and procedures to conduct different types of market surveys and value chain assessments.
- Create, as well as use various econometric modelling techniques to develop forecasts.
- Apply models of economic behaviour to agricultural markets changes and developments.
- Promote market development using experimental economic methods.
- Develop business plans for projects and activities in commodity value chains.
- Establish and foster relationships and linkages with partners in national agricultural research and extension systems, the private sector, and Advanced Research Institutes.
- Provide technical backstopping and assistance in building the capacity of national programs in research on market economics.
- Mentor and backstop graduate students involved in related research.
- Publish scientific outputs in peer-reviewed IF journals and others (e.g., technical reports, IITA bulletins, or social media and books or book chapters).
- Contributions to resource mobilization through the development of concept notes and proposals in collaboration with others.
- Perform any other job–related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- The candidate should possess a Ph.D.in Agricultural Economics, Applied Economics, or other relevant fields from a highly recognized university.
- He/she will demonstrate experience of at least three (3) years in market economic studies relating to agricultural issues, preferably in Africa.
- Good knowledge of market studies.
- Competence in the development of socio-economic and market surveys.
- Ability to perform a thoughtful, critical analysis of market economics-related data.
- Conversant with tools and approaches applied in market studies.
- Knowledge and experience with economic evaluation of agricultural technologies.
- Familiarity with statistical software used in market studies.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications in market–related journals.
- Experience with resource mobilization.
- Ability to work as a member of a multidisciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent leadership, mentoring, management, interpersonal, and team-building skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- Knowledge of sub–Saharan Africa is an added advantage.
- IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Application Closing Date
Not Specified. (The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found )
- Applications must include a Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for,
- Curriculum Vitae (CV),
- Names and Addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor / Superior at his / her present or former place of work).
- The application should be addressed to “The Head of Human Resources”
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How To Apply For Associate Scientist, Agricultural Markets Economist Job
- Click the ‘Apply For Job’ button below.
- Follow the link displayed to proceed to the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) recruitment portal,
- Fill the online application form.
- Upload the necessary documents.
- Submit your application and await notification if shortlisted for an interview.
- The application deadline is not specified.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.iita.org.