World Bank Group
Environmental Specialist Job Vacancy At World Bank Group
An Environmental Specialist job vacancy is currently available at World Bank Group (WBG). Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified individuals who possess all the below-listed criteria.
- Senior Social Development Specialist Job At World Bank Group
- Operations Officer – Disruptive Technologies Job At World Bank Group
- Driver Job At International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
The World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions.
In the fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
Job #: req13455
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Environmental Specialist Responsibilities
Environment Safeguard and Standards:
During project preparation:
- Screen potential Environmental and Social (E&S) risks & impacts;
- Determine the appropriate risk classification; Prepare Concept Environmental and Social Review Summary (ESRS);
- Conduct thorough assessment of E&S risks & impacts;
- Review E&S documents available before Appraisal; and Prepare Appraisal ESRS.
During project implementation:
- Supervise project compliance with the Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) and Safeguard Policies as provided in the environmental and social assessment documents and management plans.
- Participate in project technical discussions and field visits.
- Review project reports and build effective working relationships with the project implementation agency to ensure proper implementation of the ESF.
During both preparation and implementation:
- Go beyond narrow policy compliance to look for opportunities to support clients in achieving the project development goals.
- Work closely with the project task team and the social development specialist to ensure that projects are implemented in an environmentally and socially sustainable manner.
- Enhance the Client’s capacity to manage environmental and social risks and impacts of projects.
- Provide training to i) Environment Specialists of various World Bank-funded project implementation agencies and ii) staff of the line ministries.
- Provide support in the implementation of ENB operations in Nigeria including:
- Day-to-day follow up on project implementation; review procurement plans and TORs submitted by the client to ensure alignment with the project objectives and consistency with World Bank fiduciary policies;
- Participate in implementation support missions under the guidance of the Task Team Leader and follow up on project progress;
- Elaborate mission aide-memoirs and ensure timely execution of missions’ action plans.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Engineering, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, Geography, or a related field from a recognized university
- 5+ years of proven, relevant professional experience including environmental risk management (safeguards) and project management,
- Strong knowledge of environmental and climate issues in Nigeria
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse qualitative and quantitative environmentally related data and information
- Familiarity with the World Bank Group’s organizational structure, its policies, and procedures; experience working on World Bank Group projects is preferred
- Knowledge of Bank Environmental and Social Standards is preferred
- Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries; ability to function independently, with a high degree of motivation, flexibility, and reliability.
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills in English and French to deliver information effectively in support of a team or workgroup.
World Bank Group Core Competencies:
- The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
- We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Required Language(s): English, French.
How To Apply For Environmental Specialist Job
- Hit the ‘APPLY FOR JOB’ button below.
- Follow the displayed link to proceed to the World Bank Group recruitment portal.
- Create a profile on the portal.
- Log into your dashboard and complete your application.
- The application deadline is 18th November at 11:59 pm UTC.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.