Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI)
Head, Delivery Support Unit Job Vacancy At Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI)
Head, Delivery Support Unit job vacancy is currently available at Development Alternatives Incorporated (DAI). Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified individuals who possess all the below-listed criteria.
DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI work with a wide range of clients, including national and local governments, bilateral and multilateral donors, private corporations, and philanthropies.
- Public Financial Management (PFM) Specialist Job At DAI
- Technical Director, Public Financial Management (PFM) Job At DAI
- Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) Specialist Job At DAI
- The Borno State Government has developed a 25-Year Borno State Development Framework (BoSDF). There is a substantial ambition to follow through on the aims of the BoSDF and in November 2020 the Borno State Government finalized and presented a 10-year strategic implementation plan that provides a roadmap to achieving these objectives, – the “2020-2030 Strategy for Transformation of Borno State”. This strategy centres around 8 Strategic Transformation Initiatives (STIs) which cut across multiple government authorities within the state. The Government of the United Kingdom,
- in partnership with the United Nations Development Programme, seek to support the Borno State Government to implement its development priorities as outlined in the BoSDF through the creation of a Delivery Support Unit (DSU) to provide prioritization, data collection and management, monitoring, coordination and capacity building functions.
- The Delivery Support Unit (DSU)’s overarching objective is to track the delivery of the State Governments’ priorities (the STIs) to ensure that state-level plans translate into real-world benefits to citizens. The DSU will also provide high-quality briefings on progress towards achieving the priorities, and advice on issues that need resolving.
- Support prioritization across Borno State Government to ensure the state’s resources are deployed effectively and appropriately to the area’s most likely to achieve impact.
- Provide strong and objective analytical work, supported by clear data from delivery unit and data management teams, identifying when specific policy deliverables are “off track”, providing informed options and adjustive/corrective measures.
- Provide continuous capacity and capability support to the key ministries/agencies tasked with delivering the STIs.
- Ensure strong coordination across the executive, as well as between government and international partner frameworks, to support the Borno State government in achieving the selected STIs.
- Support strong accountability and management mechanisms between the Office of the Borno State Governor and commissioners delivering the STIs.
- Work with other key institutions to improve the quality of data in the Borno State Government, in support of the above key objectives.
Head, Delivery Support Unit Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Special Advisor and Coordinator His Excellency, the Governor of Borno, the Head of Delivery Support Unit will undertake the following key functions:
- Tracking the delivery of a set of State Government priorities (the STIs), working with Special Advisor and Coordinator His Excellency and an extensive network of Government Commissioners, Permanent Secretaries and departmental officials to monitor and discuss progress on STIs. Review, evaluate and challenge the evidence presented by departments and support the processes of helping set the agenda;
- Providing high quality is written and oral briefings and advice for regular coordination meetings with the Governor on delivery issues and how they should be addressed. At a minimum, these would include:
- Quarterly reviews with the Governor and selected Ministers and officials. These would focus on updating the progress of STI implementation through a delivery dashboard, highlighting issues, and suggesting evidence-based recommendations for discussion and swift decision-making.
- Monthly stock takes directly with the Governor across the key STIs. These would focus on the progress of implementation to date through an STI-specific delivery dashboard, highlight any concerns/issues with implementation (and solutions if found), and present any key decisions that the Governor may need to make.
- Designing and leading regular (periodicity the defined but usually between 5-10 weeks) ‘deep dive’ projects and shorter analyses that produce evidence-based recommendations for action.
- Canvass key delivery challenges to the responsible agencies backed with specific deep dives and shorter projects, that respond to those specific challenges;
- Undertake strategic information gathering with advisors in other Ministries, experts and MDA staff and using quantitative analysis and other methodologies. Based on this develop well-evidenced, deliverable recommendations for Commissioners and/or STI teams;
- Ensure assurance of data and information before sharing and use in dialogue;
- Providing ongoing assistance to Special Advisor and Coordinator His Excellency and MDAs on the implementation of key policies and programmes, working with relevant officials to ensure that delivery is underpinned by robust plans and metrics, appropriate governance and a strong evidence base; cultivating positive working relationships with stakeholders across Borno State Government.
- Supporting Special Advisor and Coordinator to His Excellency and STI Implementation Teams directly with expert advice to support meetings between STI teams to understand the implementation challenges. This will likely include working sensitively with senior officials in the MDAs to understand the story or history of policy delivery, negotiating DSU interventions, and supporting wider strategy and planning development;
- Set up and effectively manage a team of short-term, medium-term and other individuals that constitute the DSU, who will ultimately work across the portfolio ensuring effective and timely support is provided as is required. In doing so, you will oversee delivery against these objectives in a way that empowers DSU staff to give their best and contribute meaningfully to these objectives, to secure the long term learning and capacity development of the DSU and STI Implementation teams.
- Liaise effectively as the key interlocutor with other agencies in Borno State Government whose remits are to support the effective delivery of the STIs, including the data management centre.
- Supporting or advising on initiatives to strengthen state-level capacities for effective implementation of the STIs, such as for monitoring, evaluation, and learning, or knowledge management, across the Born State Government.
Impact of Results:
- The role will directly contribute towards the implementation of the Borno State Development Plan.
- Master’s Degree in Management, Economics, Business Administration, Development Studies, Political Science, Public Administration or other related areas; or equivalent work experience.
- At least ten (10) years of relevant professional experience governance, either in government, private sector, or third sector, with a particular focus on senior-level strategic, management and/or political engagement, and a proven track record of achievements in transformational development solutions;
- Strong experience in managing complex multi-stakeholder relationships and dynamics, coordinating inter-agency initiatives, and working with multiple and diverse levels of partners;
- Experience in setting the vision and leading a team of ambitious and high performing individuals to work towards this vision.
- Experience in managing and implementing quality-driven research and policy-level analysis;
- Proven policy, advisory and advocacy experience at senior levels;
- Experience in preparing high-quality policy briefs and guidance notes for use by senior policymakers;
- Strong writing, communications, interpersonal, and facilitation skills;
- Ability to work under pressure, tight deadlines, and in demanding and/or austere conditions;
- Experience working in delivery units, or strategy units, either in Nigeria or internationally.
- Experience of front line delivery in various policy areas, particularly in any of the health, education, agriculture, or environmental projects, and/or similar private or third sector experience;
- International experience in the field of development, preferably in countries/contexts where rapid progress on development issues has been achieved.
- Experience in leading/managing complex change management processes;
- Experience working in Borno State, with the familiarity of its languages, culture, and context (political, economic, social, environmental).
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain a range of complex stakeholder relationships, critically with senior government officials;
- Working at pace in such complex multi-stakeholder environments, to be able to drive progress in the face of a range of competing views and priorities;
- Tact, sensitivity and an ability to manage complex, highly sensitive matters discreetly and effectively;
- Highly developed communication, networking, and negotiation skills, to inspire, lead and develop a high performing and ambitious team;
- Liaise and work effectively in a team of national and international staff in a dynamic, highly political and environment;
- Highly developed and demonstrable problem-solving and analytical skills that can be deployed flexibly across a wide range of businesses;
- Demonstrate integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promote the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the Borno State Government
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to incorporate gender in tall aspects of work including planning, managing, operations, database development, reporting and M&E;
- Treat all people fairly without favouritism;
- Ability to think conceptually and flexibly, capacity to adapt, innovate, and propose multiple options;
- Demonstrated proactivity, accuracy and attention to detail;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies innovative approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms;
- Develops and/or participates in the development of tools and mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to
- promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies; Strong communication skills;
- Essential: Fluency in English, written and spoken.
- Desirable: Fluency in Borno languages.
How To Apply For Head, Delivery Support Unit At DAI
Suitably qualified individuals should send their CV to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Note: Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The application deadline is 16th August.