International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Head, Genetic Resources Centre Job At International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
The vacant position of Head, Genetic Resources Centre is currently available at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA). Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified individuals who possess all the below-listed criteria.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization and a member of the CGIAR Consortium.
- Data Manager Job At International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- Senior Research Associate Job At International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- Software Engineer Job Vacancy At Fairmoney
The successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
Head, Genetic Resources Centre Duties
- Provide essential oversight, leadership and management of genetic resources conservation and research, at the Genetic Resources Centre, Ibadan, in the context of One CGIAR.
- Secure maintenance and preservation of the international collections maintained at IITA and update standard international operational procedures as appropriate.
- Maintain a strong research program on secure conservation methods for clonally propagated crops.
- Develop a strong research program on germplasm characterization, combining agromorphological and molecular data with the objective of a) evaluating the diversity of the collections and b) developing decision support tools for optimization of germplasm management.
- Develop germplasm evaluation programs in collaboration with respective breeding programs.
- Work closely with the Germplasm Health Unit on germplasm indexing and sanitation.
- Supervise all germplasm exchanges and ensure harmony with the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture.
- Contribute to capacity building in the conservation and use of plant genetic resources worldwide.
- Liaise with Global Crop Diversity Trust and other work within the Genetic Innovation Science
- Lead a programme of work on enhancing germplasm use both directly and through breeding with a focus on climate change and nutrition.
- Establish or strengthen collaboration with national partners and Advanced Research Institutes.
- Communicate research results through peer-reviewed high-impact journals and other media.
- Participate in mobilization of resources to support research activities.
- Collaborate with breeding programs to enhance germplasm use.
- Take part in the development of global conservation strategies.
- Perform any other job-related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
The candidate should possess a PhD in plant breeding, genetics, conservation biology or related fields from a highly recognized university.
The ideal candidate must:
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in genetic resource conservation and use of seed and
clonally propagated collections.
- Familiarity with in situ conservation.
- Experience in management of Genebank operations with multiple species.
- Publication in high ranking scientific journals on ex-situ conservation of plant genetic
- resources, genetic resource diversity assessment or evaluation, or conservation of clonally
- Experience with database management and application of genomic tools in germplasm
- Ability to create strong and sustainable links with diverse partners.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and team-building skills.
- Knowledge of sub-Saharan Africa and good contacts with NARS scientists in the region is an
- Proficiency with written and spoken English; knowledge of French is an asset.
The initial appointment is for three years
We offer a highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How To Apply For Head, Genetic Resources Centre Job
- Click the ‘Apply For Job’ button below.
- Follow the link displayed to proceed to the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) recruitment portal,
- Fill the online application form.
- Upload the necessary documents.
- Submit your application and await notification if shortlisted for an interview.
- The application deadline is 5th September.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.iita.org.