Learning And Communication Officer Job At Mercy Corps
Applications are invited from suitably qualified individuals to the vacant position of Learning And Communication Officer by Mercy Corps at Gombe State, Nigeria.
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The Rural Resilience Activity is a five-year, $30 million USAID-funded Program in Nigeria’s northeast. The purpose of the Rural Resilience Activity is to sustainably move people out of chronic vulnerability and poverty. The Rural Resilience activity will enable individuals and communities to engage in strong and sustainable market systems rather than continuing to rely on humanitarian assistance and faltering with each new shock. To achieve this purpose, the Activity will have four components and four cross-cutting elements:
- Component 1: Provide up-to-date evidence for the selection of market systems, livelihoods, and employment opportunities that contribute to inclusive and resilient growth and improved nutrition.
- Component 2: Stimulate market systems growth and diverse economic opportunities (Pull activities).
- Component 3: Build capacity to take advantage of market systems opportunities (Push activities).
- Component 4: Sequencing, layering, integrating (SLI), and collaborative learning to improve activity effectiveness, sustainability, and scale.
General Position Summary
The Learning and Communication Officer will support the CLA Advisor in the implementation of the program’s Collaboration Learning and Adaptive (CLA) framework and lead the development of knowledge, management, and learning strategy for the program. He/she will also be responsible for activity-driven learning activities (after-action reviews, Lessons Learned exercises, satisfaction surveys, focus groups, development of knowledge products related to the delivery of work, etc.) ensuring the program’s learning agenda is efficiently implemented. Develop content for the Program Quarterly Newsletters for dissemination among stakeholders and utilize creative approaches to content development using graphic design to develop infographics and enhance reports, in collaboration with the Communications Manager.
- Yola Youth Engagement Gender & Conflict Sensitivity Officer Job
- CIPP Program Manager Job At Mercy Corps
- Deputy Finance Manager Job At Mercy Corps
Essential Job Responsibilities For Learning And Communication Officer
We are currently looking to higher an individual with the below listed criteria to occupy the aforementioned vacant position.
STRATEGY & VISION
- He/she will support the establishment of Knowledge Management functions, helping to manage and promote the storage and retrieval of program documentation including planning documents, reports, research studies, lessons learned, case studies, and developing communications materials.
- To plan and implement activities that ensure adherence to Mercy Corps and USAID standards and ensure effective dissemination of project materials to different stakeholders.
- He/she will work with the MEL unit to coordinate knowledge sharing and communication tools and approaches to ensure they are consistent, streamlined, sustainable, and used.
- Work with Mercy Corps Nigeria Communications Working Group and the Rural Resilience Activity Communications Manager to develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
LEARNING, COMMUNICATIONS AND CAPACITY BUILDING
- Support the Activity’s visibility and communication initiatives through travel to field locations to collect images, success stories, and other communications content, as necessary for the development of high-quality reports and success stories for dissemination and documentation.
- Update the content of the Mercy Corps workplace and other recognized social media platforms on a routine basis to ensure dissemination of the program activities, progress, and achievement.
- During special events coordinate the use of social media for reporting on the activities with other program staff according to Mercy Corps standard.
- Source and secure media opportunities for the program to showcase its work during key commemoration days such as World AIDS Day, Children’s Day; International Women’s Day; 16th Days of Activism; International Youth Day, etc.
- Support the mapping of stakeholder to inform partnership that contributes to increased resilience and economic opportunities
- Generate and share evidence for learning, adapting, and quality implementation in a timely manner
- Ensuring that the Activity’s learning agenda is efficiently updated and implemented
- Work with external vendors, including graphic designers and printers, and liaise with relevant print and news media to cover relevant Rural Resilience Activity.
- With support from the CLA Advisor, organize learning, field visits, knowledge sharing, and capitalization workshops at the local level to enable lessons learned to be used in future program design.
- Develop and participate in producing various communication materials including brochures, flyers, banners, infographics, newsletters, posters, articles, news stories, documentaries, and technical reports on Rural Resilience activities.
- Work with other team members to address shortfalls in communication and information management that affect program implementation.
- Participate and support in the preparation of quality quarterly and annual reports, fact-sheets, presentations, articles, lessons learned documents, and any other written resources as needed, for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in communications-related working groups and maintain close working relationships with other communications counterparts in other relevant international NGOs, local NGOs, and associations in Nigeria.
- Maintain standards and best practices for all communications and related processes, including contributions to the online Communications and Learning library under the direction of the CLA Advisor and Communications Manager.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Provide team members with information, tools, and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options, and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
FINANCE & COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments, and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly to Collaborating, Learning and Adapting Advisor, dotted reporting line to Communication Manager
Works Directly with Chief of Party, Communications Manager, Rural Resilience Activity technical leads, MEL team, Finance, and compliance department, and other relevant MC staff.
Requirements For Learning And Communication Officer Job
- Postgraduate degree in communication, M&E, knowledge management, international development, or any related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of Communication and/or knowledge management work experience in international development required; the ideal candidate will have both theoretical and practical background in communications. Experience implementing peace & resilience building and market systems projects will be of great advantage
- 2-3 years of experience in writing and editing content for digital and print.
- Advanced skills in graphic designs especially Corel draw and Adobe Photoshop.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe applications and good photography skills
- Knowledge of program development, implementation, and reporting
- Demonstrated experience in initiating and implementing program development learning strategies, workshops, and building team capacity to deliver high-quality results.
- Vast experience in producing quality communications materials (factsheets, summary briefs, documentaries, drama skits, etc)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with any communication software
- Experience interfacing with media, corporations, and key stakeholders highly desired
- Fluency in written and verbal English is required.
The successful candidate will combine exceptional leadership, management, and technical skills with a focus on innovative interventions to engage adolescent girls in informal education and skills building linked with private sector entrepreneurship and employment opportunities in a culturally and religiously conservative environment. S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovative and complex programs within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the region. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem-solving and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are essential.
The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves professionally and respect local laws, customs, and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How To Apply For Learning And Communication Officer
- Click the ‘Apply For Job’ below.
- Follow the link displayed to proceed to Mercy Corps recruitment portal.
- Consent and register for an application account.
- Confirm your account through your email.
- Loging into your account and complete the online application form.
- Submit your application and await notification if shortlisted.
- The application deadline was not specified.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting2.ultipro.com.