Parliamentary Research Officer Job At ECOWAS
Applications are invited for the vacant position of Parliamentary Research Officer At Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), interested candidates should proceed to apply but not until they are sure that they meet the following criteria.
Under the supervision of the Principal Officer, Library, Documentation & Research, the Parliamentary Research Officer shall assist Members of Parliament by providing them relevant well-researched information for their work.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respond in a timely manner to requests for information or inquiries from Committee members and other Members of Parliament;
- Undertake research, usually from readily available sources, on clearly defined subjects;
- Analyze and evaluate research and interpret data in order to identify the key issues;
- Prepare and present, in both written and oral forms, the results of research in a manner appropriate for answering parliamentary questions, providing briefings to Committee members, or for providing content for newspaper articles and press releases ;
- Prepare and provide briefings for Committee Clerks to be tabled at meetings of the Committee;
- Monitor motions, petitions, legislation, Hansard, and other parliamentary activity as appropriate;
- Monitor coverage in the media issues before the Committees;
- Advice and guide the Committees, Members of Parliament, the Secretary-General, and Committee Clerks on relevant policy matters;
- Progress casework through liaison with local and national bodies, government agencies, lobby groups, and other associated bodies;
- Develop knowledge of relevant legislation and ensure that knowledge is maintained and updated;
- Maintain precise, detailed records of each issue and ensure the confidentiality of data at all times;
- Develop knowledge in specialist areas as required by the Committees;
- Performs other tasks as may be assigned by the supervisor.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in International Relations, Political Science, Public Administration or a related field from a recognized University;
- 2 years of progressively responsible professional working experience in political science, political affairs, international relations, law, mediation, conflict resolution, or related area is required;
- knowledge and understanding of ECOWAS agency or institutional mandate, international non-proliferation theories, concepts and developments, and ECOWAS strategies, including cooperation with Member-States and international organizations;
- knowledge and understanding of ECOWAS agency/institution’s relations with national and regional agencies, international organizations, and other international and diplomatic institutions;
- Ability to liaise between ECOWAS members and Staff with the government of the country of residence, in-focus areas;
- Classification of information of relevance to the human resources management functional areas.
Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS KEY COMPETENCIES
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Must be able to respect the chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information, and resources;
- Contribute to maintaining the organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Must be able to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues, and subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance.
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
Interpersonal skills with the ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards;
- demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness, and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race, and religion;
- ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgment, tact, and diplomacy;
- ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences;
- Must be able to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbiased and transparent manner.
- knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes, and policies;
- knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services, and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends, and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions, and/or internal committees.
knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges, and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance, and performance targets;
- knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means;
- exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions, and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- ability to organize work set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators, and risks;
- proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT);
- ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
How To Apply For Parliamentary Research In ECOWAS
Send your application email@example.com
The application deadline is 2021-04-13
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org