West African Health Organization (WAHO)
Program Officer, Traditional Medicine Job Vacancy At West African Health Organization (WAHO)
A Program Officer, Traditional Medicine job vacancy is currently available at West African Health Organization (WAHO). Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified individuals who possess all the below-listed criteria.
WAHO undertook measures to combat Malaria, malnutrition, HIV/AIDS, maternal and infant mortality; prevention of blindness actions for easy access to medicines and vaccines, epidemiological surveillance as well as training and health information management.
These health problems have remained in the sub-region, despite the significant results achieved. In consideration of the challenges to be tackled, vis-Ã -vis its mission, vision, goal and the priorities expressed by the Member States, in the Second Strategic Plan, WAHO intends to pursue the fight against the aforementioned diseases as well as non-communicable diseases by addressing the following strategic orientations: a) Support for quality improvement of the health systems of the sub-region; b) Support for health services improvement in the sub-region; c) Support for development of sustainable financing of health; d) Institutional development of WAHO.
- Programme Officer, Research Applications – Industry & Third Sector Job At West African Health Organization (WAHO)
- Programme Officer, Pharmacy and Allied Health Job At West African Health Organization (WAHO)
- Structural Project Engineer Intern Job At Karbak Ventures Limited
Program Officer, Traditional Medicine Job Overview
- Under the supervision of the Principal Programme Officer Healthcare Delivery, the incumbent shall lead and effectively coordinate the Traditional Medicine programme to support the ECOWAS member states to integrate it into their health systems.
- The incumbent shall be required to consolidate the gains made and introduce other innovative activities, particularly in the areas of harmonization of national policies and regulatory frameworks, development of training tools for traditional medicine practitioners and other health professionals, promotion of dialogue between the practitioners of traditional medicine and conventional medicine, promotion of research and development of plant medicines, conservation of medicinal plants and protection of indigenous knowledge
Program Officer, Traditional Medicine Responsibilities
The incumbent shall:
- Consolidate the gains made in its traditional medicine promotion effort.
- Provide leadership to the Member States on the promotion of rational traditional medicine practices and their integration into their national health systems.
- Promote strategies for the development of national policies, legal frameworks and codes of conduct for the practice of traditional medicine.
- Advocate strongly for the inclusion of traditional medicine in undergraduate courses of medical schools and other healthcare institutions.
- Facilitate the development of structured training programmes in traditional medicine.
- Facilitate the establishment of traditional medicine practitioners’ associations for effective implementation of national and regional policies.
- Organize the compilation of inventories of medicinal plants of proven efficacy.
- Establish an effective and sustainable network of West African scientists to undertake research in traditional medicine.
- Guide local production of evidence-based traditional medicine products, and work with the Member States and other technical units to ensure the registration and inclusion of some products in the national essential drug lists.
- Put in place mechanisms to promote dialogue between practitioners of traditional medicine and other health professionals and scientists.
- Undertake resource mobilization (technical and financial) activities to support the Member States to integrate traditional medicine into their national health systems.
- Collaborate with key regional and global partners engaged in traditional medicine promotion.
- Organize workshops, seminars, training and professional development programmes for traditional medicine practitioners.
- Promote ongoing efforts to conserve medicinal plants by the establishment of botanical gardens and protection of intellectual property rights.
- Collaborate with allied professionals in other Departments to undertake related tasks.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine or Pharmacy or Nursing or Medical Science or any of the Allied Health Sciences from a recognised university.
- 5 to 7 years of progressively responsible experience in the implementation of healthcare programs;
- Knowledge of quality assurance standards in the ECOWAS region and Non-Communicable Diseases strategy;
- Ability to manage relationships with partner organizations, Ministries of Health and other relevant regulatory bodies to foster solid cooperation.
ECOWAS Key Competencies
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instil a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect the chain of command appropriately;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance;
- Contribute to maintaining the organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
P3-03-01 Client Service Orientation:
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Proven experience in the management of Health Information system
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need mitigates issues and carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters of assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards
- Knowledge in database development and management. DHIS2 knowledge will be an advantage
- Advanced knowledge in health information analysis tools.
- Excellent management capacity, including networking and alliance building.
- Ability to work within a multinational environment and with a diverse range of people and organisations at the national, regional and global levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team setting, group facilitation and good interpersonal skills.
- Proven knowledge of new developments in own occupation/profession.
- Effective organizational skills with the ability to prioritize.
P3-04-01 Multicultural Sensitivity and Advocacy:
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbiased and transparent manner.
P3-05-01 Knowledge of ECOWAS:
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states’ development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
P3-06-01 Analytical and Critical Thinking:
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means,
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
P3-08-01 Planning and Implementation:
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
- Must be a citizen of an ECOWAS Member State.
- Must not be more than 50 years of age at the time of recruitment. This does not apply to internal candidates.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications which must include the below to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
The application deadline is 9th April 2022.