West African Health Organization (WAHO)
Programme Officer, Healthcare Standards and Quality Job Vacancy At West African Health Organization (WAHO)
A Programme Officer, Healthcare Standards and Quality job vacancy is currently available at West African Health Organization (WAHO). Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified individuals who possess all the below-listed criteria.
WAHO undertook measures to combat Malaria, malnutrition, HIV/AIDS, maternal and infant mortality; prevention of blindness actions for easy access to medicines and vaccines, epidemiological surveillance as well as training and health information management.
These health problems have remained in the sub-region, despite the significant results achieved. In consideration of the challenges to be tackled, vis-Ã -vis its mission, vision, goal and the priorities expressed by the Member States, in the Second Strategic Plan, WAHO intends to pursue the fight against the aforementioned diseases as well as non-communicable diseases by addressing the following strategic orientations: a) Support for quality improvement of the health systems of the sub-region; b) Support for health services improvement in the sub-region; c) Support for development of sustainable financing of health; d) Institutional development of WAHO.
- Program Officer, Nursing and Midwifery Job At West African Health Organization (WAHO)
- Programme Officer, Research Applications – Industry & Third Sector Job At West African Health Organization (WAHO)
- Programme Officer, Pharmacy and Allied Health Job At West African Health Organization (WAHO)
Programme Officer, Healthcare Standards and Quality Job Overview
- Under the supervision of the Directorate’s Director, the incumbent shall be responsible for ensuring health facilities quality assurance, patient safety, risk management programmes and systems-level outcomes within the organization.
- He/she shall direct the efforts of all the performance improvement initiatives to ensure compliance with all regulatory standards.
- S/He shall focus on quality systems, patient experience and management of clinical risks.
- This role shall involve working independently and collaboratively with other Programme Officers to ensure the establishment of quality healthcare standards and the effective functioning of clinical risk frameworks.
Programme Officer, Healthcare Standards and Quality Responsibilities
The incumbent will:
- Advocate and establish a culture of safety and quality standards throughout WAHO’s programmes;
- Plan and create a Regional Standards and Quality Procedure Manual;
- Review quality assurance standards in the ECOWAS region;
- Develop training material and practice guidelines and other decision-making tools in Healthcare Services;
- Coordinate the development of strategic work plans with clear objectives and achievement benchmarks, short and long term priorities, implementation plans and tools for evaluation;
- Monitor Healthcare Service performance by gathering relevant data and producing statistical reports;
- Provide technical assistance to countries in using relevant quality tools to ensure that managers and other staff understand how to improve their work;
- Identify technical assistance on needs assessment when needed;
- Coordinate and manage relationships with partner organisations, Ministries of Health and other relevant regulatory bodies to foster solid cooperation;
- Coordinate the training of health personnel on health care standards and quality;
- Provide technical assistance to the Member States in setting up and maintaining Healthcare Service controls and documentation of procedures;
- Provide technical assistance to countries to regularly update existing policies and procedures of health facilities;
- Perform other related duties as might be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine or Pharmacy or Nursing or Medical Science or any of the Allied Health Sciences from a recognised university.
- 5 to 7 years of progressively responsible experience in the implementation of healthcare programs;
- Knowledge of quality assurance standards in the ECOWAS region and Non-Communicable Diseases strategy;
- Ability to manage relationships with partner organizations, Ministries of Health and other relevant regulatory bodies to foster solid cooperation.
ECOWAS Key Competencies
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instil a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to respect the chain of command appropriately;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
- Ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance;
- Contribute to maintaining the organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
P3-03-01 Client Service Orientation:
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Proven experience in the management of Health Information system
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need mitigates issues and carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters of assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards
- Knowledge in database development and management. DHIS2 knowledge will be an advantage
- Advanced knowledge in health information analysis tools.
- Excellent management capacity, including networking and alliance building.
- Ability to work within a multinational environment and with a diverse range of people and organisations at the national, regional and global levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team setting, group facilitation and good interpersonal skills.
- Proven knowledge of new developments in own occupation/profession.
- Effective organizational skills with the ability to prioritize.
P3-04-01 Multicultural Sensitivity and Advocacy:
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbiased and transparent manner.
P3-05-01 Knowledge of ECOWAS:
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states’ development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
P3-06-01 Analytical and Critical Thinking:
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means,
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
P3-08-01 Planning and Implementation:
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
- Must be a citizen of an ECOWAS Member State.
- Must not be more than 50 years of age at the time of recruitment. This does not apply to internal candidates.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications which must include the below to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
The application deadline is 9th April 2022.