United Nations World Food Programme
Programme Policy Officer (Home-Grown School Feeding) SC9 Job By United Nations World Food Programme
The vacant position of Programme Policy Officer (Home-Grown School Feeding) SC9 is currently available by United Nations World Food Programme. Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified individuals who possess all the below-listed criteria.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
In Nigeria, an insurgency led by non-state armed groups and military operations conducted by the Government of Nigeria have had a devastating impact on Northeast Nigeria, especially in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe (BAY states).
The sharp rise in humanitarian needs caused by the conflict has led WFP to establish its presence in the country.
With other areas of the country experiencing rises in chronic food insecurity and malnutrition, achieving Zero Hunger by 2030 will require countrywide and nationally framed efforts. Moreover, the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have exacerbated underlying vulnerabilities.
- National Programme Policy Officer (Partnership) NOB Job By United Nations World Food Programme
- Deputy Food Security Sector Coordinator Job By United Nations World Food Programme
- Desk Officer, Grants (GL 12) Job By Kaduna State Government (KDSG)
Standard Minimum Qualifications For Programme Policy Officer (Home-Grown School Feeding) SC9 Job
Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other fields relevant to international humanitarian and/or development assistance.
Experience: At least four (4) years of relevant postgraduate professional experience required.
Knowledge & Skills: Has experience working together with or for the government, United Nations, and/or non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in the area of humanitarian and/or development assistance.
Has experience working in the area of food security, nutrition and/or health. Experience in school health and nutrition would be an asset;
Language: Fluency (level C) in the English language, both spoken and written.
WFP NIGERIA COUNTRY STRATEGIC PLAN (2019 – 2022):
In line with WFP’s broader goal to support the achievement of SDG 2 in a manner that also contributes to peace and development, WFP’s Nigeria Country Strategic Plan (2019 – 2022) is centred around three main support modalities:
1) Direct support (Strategic Outcomes 1, 2, 3 & 6) to address the food and nutrition needs of vulnerable populations and building their resilience to shocks over time and provide common services to the humanitarian and development community.
2) Technical support (Strategic Outcome 4) to strengthen government capacity to implement high-quality food security and nutrition programmes including social protection mechanisms and programmes.
3) Enabling support (Strategic Outcome 5) to contribute to policy coherence in the area of food security and nutrition through effective coordination among relevant stakeholders.
THE ROLE OF WFP IN SCHOOL HEALTH AND NUTRITION:
Globally, school feeding programmes have grown dramatically in quality and quantity over the last decade. It is countries and national governments which have driven this change: they invest most and make the biggest difference on the ground.
It is also clear that development partners can help strengthen and accelerate these government-led efforts, and that key changes to policy have played an important role in the growing sophistication of the programmes. WFP, as the United Nations lead on school feeding, has played important global roles both as a partner and as a catalyst for change; and is now taking more deliberate steps to strengthen and more clearly define these roles in the future, including in support of government-led school feeding programmes.
In Nigeria, and as part of its technical support to strengthen existing social protection mechanisms and programmes (Strategic Outcome 4) WFP is working closely with the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development (FMHADMSD) to strengthen the government-led National Home-Grown School Feeding Programme (NHGSFP).
Based on a recent WFP assessment of the NHGSFP focusing on policy and strategy, programme design and implementation, as well as monitoring and reporting, WFP is defining its technical support in these domains, in line with the assessment recommendations and close consultation and collaboration with the FMHADMSD.
To support this effort and subsequent WFP initiatives as part of its technical support to the Government of Nigeria, WFP is seeking to fill the position of Home-Grown School Feeding Officer (National Position).
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Capacity Strengthening and Policy Coherence unit, the incumbent will perform the following duties
1. Contribute towards the development of capacity strengthening activities in the area of Home-Grown School Feeding in close consultation with relevant government and other stakeholders;
2. Support with the design of a strategic and coherent technical support package in keeping with WFP’s mandate and areas of expertise, and support its high-quality implementation;
3. Provide project management support to the identified and agreed upon technical support package;
4. Conduct required research and analyses in support of unit objectives, including on Home-Grown School Feeding global practices, to inform the development of context-specific models for Nigeria, as appropriate;
5. Support the identification of potential partnerships to strengthen WFP’s technical support including with donor countries;
6. Assist with organizing discussions, workshops, training and coordinating field missions;
7. Support inter-unit tasks and provide inputs to other WFP units, as required.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
1) Supported the coordination of high-quality technical support to the government’s Home-Grown School Feeding Programme;
2) Helped strengthen WFP’s engagement in support of the Home-Grown School Feeding Programme in partnership with relevant external stakeholders;
3) Supported the strengthening of WFP internal coordination on the Home-Grown School Feeding Programme (Headquarters, Regional Bureau, and within the Country Office itself);
4) Provided effective project management support on WFP’s key Home-Grown School Feeding activities.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members how individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and can communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate the needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanour toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance
Displays ability to identify the main hunger problem at the national or subnational level to design and implement context-specific programmes that integrate complex analysis and the full range of food assistance tools.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian nationals (or residents with valid residence and work permits) are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant
How To Apply For Programme Policy Officer (Home-Grown School Feeding) SC9 Job
- Click the ‘Apply For Job’ button below.
- Follow the link displayed to proceed to the United Nations World Food Programme recruitment portal
- Create and verify your account.
- Log into your dashboard and fill the online application form.
- Upload the necessary documents.
- Submit your application and await notification if shortlisted for an interview.
- The application deadline is 13th July
To apply for this job please visit career5.successfactors.eu.