Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD)
Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE) Job At FMARD
Applications are invited from the suitably qualified individuals for the vacant position of Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE) in the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD).
The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) is implementing a three- year IFAD-assisted Value Chain Development Programme Additional Financing (VCDP AFi), as a follow-up to the successful six (6) – year Value Chain Development Programme (VCDP), in nine (9) participating states (Anambra, Benue, Ebonyi, Enugu, Kogi, Nasarawa, Taraba, Niger, and Ogun).
The Programme’s goal is: “Rural Poverty reduced, food security increased and accelerated economic growth achieved.” The VCDP, which was approved for an IFAD loan of USD744 million in 2012, aimed to directly improve the livelihood of approximately 17,480 households (15,000 smallholder farmers, I,68o processors, and 800 traders) and to benefit indirectly approximately 22,000 households.
In 2018, IFAI) approved an Additional Financing (AF1) of IJSD 89.1 million to: (i) expand VCDP activities to three (3) new states – Enugu, Kogi, and Nasarawa – and to a total of 57 meal Government Areas (LOAs) from 30 LGAs at the Mid-term Review (MTR) of VCDP, in the entire nine states; and (ii) support the mainstreaming of issues that were not considered at the design of VCDP, consistent with national and IFAI) policies; climate-smart agricultural practices; conflict mitigation as the conflict increases between farmers and herdsmen for land resources; nutrition and financial inclusion.
The VCDP -AF1 focuses on enhancing the productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers (who cultivate not more than 5ha of land under rice/cassava) and small/medium-scale agro-processors (with the processing capacity of an average of 2MT/day for cassava and 4MT/day for rice) by improving their access to markets, and capacity to increase yield as well as add value to locally produced raw materials through improved processing and packaging.
The programme is being implemented through three mutually reinforcing components; Agricultural Market Development, Smallholder Productivity Enhancement, and Programme Management and Coordination.
We are currently hiring individuals who have all the below-listed criteria.
Details of the Contract
Two-year contract, renewable based on satisfactory performance acceptable to FGN and IFAD.
The Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE) will work under the direct supervision of the Project Rural Infrastructure Engineer (RuE).
The Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE) will be assisting the Project Rural Infrastructure Engineer (RIE) in all aspects of rural infrastructure development activities related to smallholder farmers.
Specific Duties For Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE)
- Liaise with State / LGAs Engineering staff (and other development partners) and include them throughout all rural infrastructure development activities to ensure sustainability, ownership, and synergy among stakeholders.
- Mobilise relevant beneficiaries around each rural infrastructure development activity for sustainability and increased ownership.
- Support in executing engineering/architectural surveys/designs,
- specifications (technical and socio-environmental) and cost estimates for rural infrastructure (roads, storage/market/agro-processing facilities, land development activities, small irrigation activities).
- Contribute to the preparation of manuals/guidelines and the execution of capacity-building activities in the area of operation and maintenance for the sustainability of all rural infrastructure to be developed by the project.
- Monitor contractor’s construction program and method on the field, verifying that they are consistent with the implementation modalities (timeline and technical specifications).
- Monitor consultant’s service provision program and method on the ground, verifying that they are consistent with the implementation modalities (timeline and technical specifications).
- Assist in the process of measurements/calculation for further payment and/or variation.
- Liaise with Project and/or States/LGA5 Environmental Experts to ensure all related aspects are considered for sustained and environment-friendly rural infrastructure are delivered.
- Carry out any other functions assigned to him/her by the Rural Infrastructure Engineer (RIE).
Requirements For Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE)
- First Degree in Civil Engineering, Rural Infrastructure or related area.
- A minimum of five (5) years experience in construction and management of rural / market Infrastructure.
- He/She should be registered with relevant professional bodies such as COREN, NSE
- Experienced working with Donor Assisted Projects.
- Good knowledge/experience of rural development challenges and dynamics
- Note: Qualified and experienced women are encouraged to apply.
How To Apply For Assistant Rural Infrastructure Engineer (ARIE) Job In Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD)
Eligible individuals should forward their Expression of Interest (EOI) in 10 copies including one original and nine photocopies, properly sealed and boldly stated ‘Expression of Interest (EOI) for the Recruitment of Officers under FGN / IFAD-VCDP Project’ at the top right-hand cover of the envelopes.
Each envelope must contain a CV, application letter with a cover letter suited for the position being applied for.
The sealed envelope should be addressed and delivered to:
The Permanent Secretary,
Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development,
C / O Director, Projects Coordinating Unit (PCU),
No.1, Eldoret Close, Off Aininu Kano Crescent,
Wuse II – Abuja.
The application deadline is 4th May.